
PC RPG games sure have a way of reawakening your sense of wonder, don't they? Of course, you may argue that all good video games do that, but there's something about the genre that just draws you in. It may be likened to the way a deep sea diver gets tempted to remain underwater indefinitely, simply because it's extremely beautiful down there.
PC RPG games, in my opinion, just resonate with the dreamer in you. You don't merely play the game -- you become the game. Even if the RPG's developers only make preset character features and options in a game, players are usually allowed a certain degree of customization and/or the freedom to act out their character's actions and dialogue. That's what role-play is, after all.
I'll never forget my first in-depth experience with a PC RPG game. Call it an act of serendipity or whatever, but I managed to snag a used, original copy of Knights of the Old Republic from a seller at a local garage sale. It was still in good condition, and it only cost me about twenty-five US cents. Talk about an awesome deal!
Before then, I'd wondered what all the hullabaloo about KotOR was. It wasn't long before I found out firsthand. The game was simply phenomenal. It had all the elements of a good Lucasarts film-turned-video game: a riveting story, adrenaline-pumping action, tongue-in-cheek humor, nasty political intrigue, fun mini-games, and the ever-lovable lightsabers, to name a few.
I thoroughly enjoyed almost every aspect of the PC RPG, but perhaps the most fun part for me involved steering my character toward the Light or the Dark Side with my actions and conversation responses.
I guess that's what sets the genre apart from the rest: few things in life can surpass the indescribable feeling of taking part in an epic adventure, and actually seeing that adventure to its satisfying, kick-ass conclusion. And in the event that the real world seems too boring or painful, it helps to get away for a while, to shut out all distractions, and to just settle down with the RPG of your choice.
Anyway, this is my first blog post on this site, but it definitely won't be my last. I hope to focus on other aspects of the genre in the near future. For now, though, thanks for reading, and be sure to watch this space in the near future for more on PC RPG games.

No comments:
Post a Comment