
Strategy PC games can be just as entertaining as PC RPGs, only in a different way. If you've been playing turn-based RPGs for a while, immersing yourself in the adrenaline-rich environment of a real time strategy game can provide you that much-welcome break.
My first foray into the world of strategy PC games came with a classic game that my friend recommended to me: Dune II. I eventually graduated to the Command & Conquer series and eventually to the Warcraft series.
Being a deliberate person who prefers to think things through slowly, I initially found the frenetic a bit of a culture shock. I gradually warmed up to it, though. I can't say I'm the best strategy PC game player out there, but I've definitely gotten better at it as compared to when I first started out.
If you're a turn-based RPG player who's thinking of taking tentative steps into the world of strategy PC gaming, here are a few tips for you that may help ease the initial discomfort:
1. Try watching how other players play the game before you try it yourself. This is partly how I got interested in the genre. It also helped me learn a lot about game mechanics, team coordination and strategy.
2. Play the one-player campaign mode before even attempting to tackle other players. Granted, AI will always be different from human intelligence, but at least you can take the time to learn the ropes that way.
3. Play with experienced players. So what if you get creamed? Remember, you're not playing to win; you're playing to learn. You'll learn a lot more from players of a higher skill level than from those of your own skill level.
4. Talk to experienced players before and after you play them. Read guides and do some research. While there are only some things you can learn in the thick of battle, preparing beforehand and learning from other people's experiences is a good way to go.
5. Above all, don't forget to have fun. If you find yourself continually frustrated, then you're trying too hard and you're missing the point. If need be, take a break and come back to it another day. The worst case scenario is to accept that strategy PC games may not be for you and move on.
Well, that's it for today. There's nothing wrong with enjoying PC RPG games, but sometimes it pays to step out of your comfort zone once in a while and try something new -- in this case, strategy PC games.

No comments:
Post a Comment