
Ragnarok Online appears to be one of those games that I can never seem to totally let go of. Granted, it's an old game, but lately, I've heard it's siren song calling to me and inviting me back to the fantasy world of Rune Midgard once again.
Ragnarok Online, as I've mentioned before, was the game that got me interested in MMORPGs. I got my first taste of it way back in 2003, when curiosity compelled me to try the game that my friends were talking about. A few hours of play later, I was hooked.
As with all games, my interest in Ragnarok Online has waxed and waned with the passing of time. Part of it had to do with certain not-so-edifying fellow players, the overwhelming surge of bots and hacks, and the sheer tedium of the grind.
As I discovered other MMORPGs, I left the game (albeit temporarily) for a time, only to find myself check it out again after some time had passed. Despite all the problems it's had over the years, there's something about the game that constantly draws me back, even when I get tired of it over and over again.
My current interest in Ragnarok Online has something to do with the repeatable daily experience quest that both Gravity the local publishers over here have set up. It sure beats grinding like hell just to get the highly-coveted aura. If I do the quest a few minutes at a time everyday, I may just make my in-game cleric eligible for archbishophood after all.
Why all this concern over such an old game? For me, the answer is simple: I never forgot my first love. My world simply expanded to accommodate other games, yet there was always a soft spot for Ragnarok Online in my heart.
In fact, I dare say I'm enjoying the game more now that I do not feel the urge to powerleveling like mad anymore. It's comparable to that of moving from romantic love to companionate love: the fiery passion of the honeymoon phase has given way to the more temperate, yet deeper level of emotional intimacy phase.
And now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll play a little bit of both Shin Megami Tensei Online: Imagine and Ragnarok Online.

No comments:
Post a Comment